Thursday, July 15, 2010

Running Bugs... but not the gross kind

I've gotten the running fever back. It's been tough, because, well, the heat makes me a wienie. I haven't signed up for the Disney Princess Half yet, but you can do so as of last week, but I gotta say, all of you that were gung ho about doing it with me are dropping like flies. I won't be happy if I have to run this race by myself. ;)

I was thinking (always a bad thing to do) the other day about my Bucket List. And running and I mean, actually running an entire half marathon is on there. When I started this running journey a year ago, it seemed like I could be happy with just that, but now, I don't know. It seems to me if you can put in the proper training for a half, you can certainly do it for a full. And now maybe a half isn't good enough. You see, I am driven by accomplishments, but am not an overachiever. I'm more of a half-ass kind of girl. I don't like to push myself. I don't like to deal with pain. I like to do as little as possible and get by. With running, I am seeing, it isn't good enough. You HAVE to push yourself, because, it's all mental. But, I like goals. I like being able to say, "Hey yeah, I've completed 13.1 miles, what have you done?" But then, I have my realistic husband who is right behind me saying, "Yeah, but you didn't RUN the whole thing." Talk about competitive. I want to run the whole damn thing just to shut him up.

I saw this article the other day, and I thought, "Wow. That's what I need to make it that 26.2 miles." I even went and told Philly, which is rare, because when I tell him outrageous things like this is, he is very quick to pull me back down and I fully expected the response of, "WHAT? You can't even run 5 miles without stopping." But, he didn't. Maybe he wasn't really listening to what I was saying. But then. I thought about it. I don't have the time to train right now. I am not a morning person, and I cannot drag myself out of the bed at 4am to go run. I wish I could, I feel better when I do, but it just ain't happening.

I can always find those excuses on why not to run. Like today, I am not running because I ripped up my toe with my toenail yesterday and it freaking hurts. I feel like that is a legitimate excuse though, since I'm not one to put myself through unnecessary pain.

I just don't know how to go about training properly for this, I want to be able to knock it out of the park. I want a sub 2:30 on the Disney Half next year. Which would be shaving about 33 min off my total time, and if I run the whole thing, shouldn't be a problem. Right?

Any words of wisdom or advice?? I could definitely use it.

4 comments:

  1. words of wisdom...

    YOU CAN DO IT!!!

    mind over matter baby!

    and my favorite mantra...there will be a day when you can no longer run. today is not that day.

    seriously lady, you can do it! i've done a half and 2 full marathons...started as a girl who couldn't even run a half a mile without getting winded. it's all about training yourself physically and mentally. if i can do it...you can too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never done any marathons, but I want to work towards it :) You can do it!! I totally want to run in the Disney runs...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never ran a marathon and I never plan on it. I don't enjoy pain and I don't like to sweat (unless I'm laying by the pool with a nice refreshing drink in my hand!). Intentional pain, like childbirth, is one thing, but anything else and I take a pill pronto! However, you are special to me. So, if running this thing in it's entirety is what you want to do I will support and encourage you to the end!!! I will be your personal cheerleader! You can do it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you don't need to be concerned with running the entire time. there are smart ways to walk. check out the galloway method. you can have organized walks and still beat your time! best of both worlds.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me! It makes me so happy!