Friday, January 7, 2011

DIY Headboards

I have been getting a lot of a requests for a DIY Headboard tutorial. Since, this was my first time doing something like this, I have tips and tricks that I can pass on to you!

I started with plywood, cut to the dimensions that I needed for the two twin bed. I think my height was 48? I can't remember. 
I then used some spray glue... I don't recommend this brand. I don't think it does a great job with the plywood and foam. 

I spray glued my foam.. which I cut myself. Apparently, the Hancock Fabrics around here don't cut foam for you, but I have heard of others cutting it for you, so just ask. I had a hard time getting it straight, and I think that was my big problem in the end. 

I stapled quilt batting around the whole thing.

 Gotta love the toys and clutter around...

I laid my fabric out and then stapled it the same way I did the batting... I think I pulled it too tight. That combined with the lumps from cutting the foam myself made the sides look a little wonky. Once I got it up, it's really hard to tell that it's messed up. 

See what I mean about it being lumpy?? The girls don't care though. 


Once I get the whole room done, I will show you what it looks like, but consider this a sneak peek!

10 comments:

  1. Awesome! What a great idea :) Love their bedding and windows too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think everything came out beautifully!

    I've been wanting to make a headboard for a long time and now that I've seen how it's done from someone I actually know it doesn't seem so intimidating anymore!! Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute!! I love the idea of creating it yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. love this tutorial...thx for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome... i have planned to do one for my girls. where did you get your fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are so clever! I'm so not good at these things - yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. cutie patootie! are y'all planning on staying in the house now? i want to redo our bedroom, as you know, but i am worried we'll get an offer the second the last coat of paint dries.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it looks fabulous.. I love, love it!!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me! It makes me so happy!