This week I have really been concentrating on my running in the evenings. I decided that I needed to give myself a little push. When I started running back in the summer, everything about it was a challenge. I started at a 5.0 speed on the treadmill. And it was hard. My friend Jana, told me I needed to try to run about a 10 minute mile. It was hard. Seriously hard. So, I kept pushing and ended up getting shinsplints and couldn't do the midnight run, which I had planned for my first 5K. So, I let it slide to back burner. Maybe running wasn't for me. After a few weeks, the thoughts started creeping back. I could do this. But would I push myself? So, I looked around for a 5K to push me towards my goal. I found one. So, back on the treadmill I hopped. I realized that I was a little angry with myself. I wasn't pushing the way I needed to. I was content to get on the treadmill, do a 5 minute warm up, and then run on and off for the next 15 minutes. That isn't going to cut it. So, I decided that I was going to see what I could do. First, I started with just upping my base run from 5.5 to 6.0. And it felt so good. A lot easier. Which to me, was a little strange. So, 6.0 felt so good, I decided to see what 6.5 felt like. Even better. So, I started lengthening my time from 20 minutes on the treadmill from start to finish to 22. Not much, but since I had increased my speed, it was. Monday night, I was trucking along, at my 6.0 speed and alternating between the walking and running, since my lung capacity isn't that great and I felt it.
It was a rush like I have never felt before. Just pure energy sizzling through my body. I was sweaty and breathing hard, but my body felt alive. Then I realized it. THIS is why people become addicted to running. So, I decided to increase my speed up to 7.0, just to see if I could do it. I could handle at least a minute of that and then I could cool down. It was like my legs had a mind of their own, there was no pain in my body and it felt so good to be running like that.
Last night, I increased my total time to 30 minutes and I alternated between 6.5 and walking and 7.0 and walking. I try to run those speeds for 2 minutes and then walk for 1 minute. I feel like my legs could handle the distance but my lungs can't. So, I need to work on increasing my lung capacity. Also, I am getting some serious blisters on my big toes. Any suggestions? I think my feet sweat a lot and I am wearing thin socks, so that could be the problem. Also, does anyone have a favorite sports bra? I love my Nike ones, but I have to wear two. But that could just be a curse of the big bubbies. Is there any gear you can't live without? Since I am officially addicted now, I need all the gadgets.
I never thought I would be one of those people.
Will You Come To My In-Person Event?
3 days ago

















Do you have the Nike Plus for your iPhone. I am asking for one for Christmas!
ReplyDeleteThey offer a running class at the aquatic center to help you train for a 5k. My aunt is doing it. They go over a bunch of tips for running. I remember her saying they told them not to wear socks with cotton because those can increase your chance of getting blisters. Maybe that would help some.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely no cotton socks! What kind of shoes are you wearing? I've still not found a good sports bra, but I wear 2 as well! I bought a Nike+ recently and love it, but it's not completely accurate. Dry fit shirts are a must! I prefer Nike or Brooks!
ReplyDeleteGood for you girl! I have a sports bra from Target actually that totally works and that's a miracle! It's a ProFit.
ReplyDeleteI am so ready to get back into running. You make me miss that feeling!
I started running/walking last Spring & loved it. Once Summer hit, we started travelling & of course I didn't work out when I wasn't home. I'm so ready to get back into a routine.
ReplyDeleteI'm with you on the 2 bras. I haven't found a sports bra that holds the girls up entirely on their own. I actually wear a regular racerback bra with a sports bra.
Just wondering, but what speed do you walk?