Saturday, November 14, 2009

Implanted... but not the kind you are thinking

I went to the doctor yesterday and had the Implanon implanted into my arm. It is a birth control implant that lasts for 3 years. I'm not going to lie, I was pretty pumped about it. The numbers are good for it, it is progesterone based, so I can continue to breast feed Claire, and I don't have to worry about taking a pill everyday, which I ALWAYS forget. Seriously... I have a daily alarm to remind me to take my Concerta. So, I get there yesterday and get back into the room and the nurse brings the tray with all the goodies. I looked it over, you know, seeing if I noticed anything from my nursing school days. I saw that it was a sterile procedure. And then I spotted it. The label. Implanon. I read over the outside of it. Then, I turned it over. *GASP* I shouldn't have done that. The needle was enormous!



This picture doesn't really do it justice as to HOW BIG the needle actually is. Dr. F came in and I quickly told her what I had done. She said, "Oh no! You shouldn't have done that. Don't worry, we numb you up first!" But... numbing "bee stings" freaking hurt too. It didn't take long and I honestly didn't feel anything after that, but when the doctor hands to a prescription for Darvocet, it doesn't ease your mind that it isn't going to hurt later.

As I was getting ready for bed, I took off my bandage to check how big the hole was, and look what I found!

Look at that bruise!!! Look at the size of the hole in my arm!! It looks a little worse this morning, but it doesn't hurt. And I can feel the implant in my arm, which feels a lot like Trixie's microchip that we had implanted in her.

Oh well, at least I don't have any worries about bringing another red headed princess into our family until we are FOR SURE ready. 'Cause, let's face it, I'm not sure my mental state can handle it.

2 comments:

  1. OUCH! At least it doesn't hurt as bad as childbirth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, Sister! I love my Implanon! The only trouble I have had is an eratic start and end date, but that has gotten better as time has passed!

    ReplyDelete

Tell me! It makes me so happy!