Thursday, September 24, 2009

Freaking wild animals...

When I was growing up and learning to drive, it never occurred to me to be thankful that I had never hit a deer. In hindsight, I guess I was quite lucky. A group of deer live behind my parents house and at least once a week we see those suckers. Sure, I would see them crossing the road and they would jump 20 ft in front of your car and never even look at you.

Well, as of yesterday I am in that lucky few that have ACTUALLY hit a deer.

I was headed back to my mom's to pick up the girls (thank GOD they weren't with me) and I had to hurry to get them because I needed to stop by the bank and sign some paperwork and out of the left cornfield, a deer, literally, appeared in front of my car, there was nothing I could do, because the minute her hoof touched the ground, my front end was knocking her down.

I slammed on my breaks to keep from running over her.

Her head left an indention in my hood.

I watched in horror as my front grill popped out and hit the pavement.

She skidded a good twenty five feet on the road and into the grass. I immediately threw the car in park, grabbed my cell phone and jumped to go see if said deer was alive. I am dialing John's number.

"Hello?"

"I..I..I...I just hit an (expletive) deer!"

"WHAT?!!?"

"I just hit an (expletive) deer!!"

I was okay, just shaken up. I just stood in the road. What do you do after you hit a deer? My car was running fine. I was so shaky, but unharmed. So, I picked up the pieces of my grill, double checked for the deer, which had run off, so I can only assume she was still alive, look at the tire tracks on the pavement and got back in my car and drove to my mom's.
I told her I hit a deer. She jumps up, calls for my step-dad and goes and tells my granny(who lives with them). Granny tells Grandpa, "Rachel hit a grill and deer popped out!!"

Umm.. not exactly, but close.

I realize it could have been a LOT worse. Most people that hit deer, total their car. I think my car held up nicely, all things considered. Here is a slide show of the damage. I am just figuring Photobucket out, so, I think this is the form of a slide show, which it not what I wanted, but honestly, I hit a deer and am still in shock.

2 comments:

  1. Sucks! Good your car is okay. Almost everyone I know that has hit one got a totalled car out of the deal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh snap that was one heck of a deer! Love the pics especially the ones of you looking sad, and John being the deer!!! Love you Sis :D

    ReplyDelete

Tell me! It makes me so happy!